Skip to main content

LiPo Battery Causes RV Fire

MCKINLEYVILLE, CA – Saturday, December 9, 2023: Arcata Fire District was dispatched to the 2400 block of Penn Avenue in response to a residential structure fire. Units from Arcata Fire, Fieldbrook Volunteer Fire, Westhaven Volunteer Fire and CalFire responded to the scene. The first engine arrived to find smoke coming from a 36’ travel trailer and threatening two nearby structures.

The first crew on scene attacked the fire, while additional personnel extended a hose line to protect the nearby structures. The fire was controlled within 10 minutes, and the trailer was searched for any victims, none being found.

The cause of the fire is suspected to be a ‘LiPo battery’, or a battery for a remote controlled car. It is believed that the rechargeable battery ignited during charging.

Resident was not home at the time that the fire began.

Christmas is coming up, so please be aware that it is not uncommon for these ‘LiPo’ batteries to degrade, heat up and catch on fire while charging. Never leave them charging unattended.

The trailer and contents were a total loss, mounting to an estimated $25,000 in damages. The Red Cross was contacted to accommodate the resident with lodging and necessities.

May contain: bumper, transportation, vehicle, and car


Join our mailing list