Midfield Court Futon Blaze - April 20, 2023
At 1:23pm. in April, 20 AFPD was dispatched to a call on the 1100 block of Midfield Court in McKinleyville with the report of a possible structure fire.
When units arrived on scene there was light brown smoke coming from eves and vents of the house. It was unknown if there were any occupants in the house, so crews immediately made entry. Inside they discovered the fire contained to a futon in the front room and smoke throughout the entire house.
Soon after, the property owner arrived on scene and confirmed the house was unoccupied and the crew quickly extinguished the fire. Firefighters believe the cause of the fire was from an overloaded electrical extension cord.
AFPD would like to remind you about electrical safety especially pertaining to electrical cords and wires.
“Always check your extension cords before use to make sure they are not damaged and make sure they are not overloaded when being used,” said Fire Chief Justin McDonald.