MCKINLEYVILLE RESIDENT SAVED BY HER NEIGHBORS
McKinleyville, CA – At approximately 3 pm Arcata Fire was dispatched to a residential structure fire at the 2800 block of McKinleyville Avenue. The Chief Officer out of the McKinleyville Station was the first to arrive and reported a fully involved single-wide mobile home. The fire was being impacted by heavy winds, causing two additional residence to be immediately threatened. The engine out of the McKinleyville Station arrived and was assigned to protect the exposure buildings.
Firefighters successfully protected both structures, then were able to focus their efforts toward the main fire building. The building was 100% involved with fire, however, with the neighbors help, the sole occupant was able to escape safely.
Chief McDonald reports, “We are extremely thankful for the neighbors who were able to carry the resident to safety. Had they not been able to take action, this would have been a fire fatality.”
Early indications point towards an accidental fire, however, the investigation is still ongoing. The structure was a complete loss and the owners vehicle was also a total loss. Red Cross was called in to assist with temporary housing due to displacement of the resident. A $250 SAVE card was issued to the resident to assist the displaced resident with incidental needs. The SAVE program is financed entirely through private and corporate donations mad through the California Fire Foundation.
There were no injuries and Arcata Fire thanks the following agencies for their assistance at this incident: Westhaven Fire, Fieldbrook Fire, CalFire (Trinidad Station) and Blue Lake Fire who covered the District. There were a total of 18 firefighters and three Chief Officers at the scene. Arcata Fire District Volunteers also provided logistical support at the fire scene.
The resident reported that her smoke alarms did not activate. Arcata Fire District would like to remind the community to check your smoke alarm for proper operation and change your batteries when you change your clocks for daylight savings.