Becoming a successful and skilled AFD volunteer requires a substantial time commitment.
- The initial orientation ride-along and required training for new firefighters often exceed 200 hours over the course of about 4 months (January-April)
- All volunteer firefighters are expected to attend 12 hours of training each quarter.
- All volunteer firefighters are required to participate in 72 hours of ride-along/activities per quarter.
- All volunteer firefighters are encouraged to report to the scene or to a fire station in response to major fires and other serious emergencies when they are reasonably able.
- Because of the significant costs and extensive training demands associated with developing a volunteer firefighter, a three–year service commitment is expected of every volunteer. Every applicant is asked to sign an acknowledgment of this commitment.